Jan 21, 2011

Happy Old Song: Tu vuò fà l'americano

I haven't post any song for my series "Happy Old Songs" this year. This first entry is a bit different, since I'm just going to do justice to one song: Tu vuò fà l'americano. Right now, a cover of this song, We No Speak Americano by a band called Yolanda Be Cool is everywhere, even in adds with audio in lots of websites. Probably most people dancing to this techno cover doesn't know that the tune is actually 54 years old!

1956. Renato Carosone and Nicola Salerno write this song. It's about the Americanization of an Italian guy:


TRANSLATION (source):
You wear trousers with a patch at the back
A small cap with the peak up
You walk making boaster for Tuleto
Like a bully to make watched you
You want to be American
American, American
Who makes you do that
You want to follow the fashion
But if you drink whisky and soda
You don't seem to be disturbed.

You dance rock'n'roll
You play baseball
But the money to buy Camel cigarettes
Who gives them to you?
Your mother's purse!

You want to be American
American, American
But you were born in Italy
Hear me out
You've got nothing to do with it
Ok, Napolitan
You want to be American
You want to be American!

How can the one who loves you understand you
If you speak half American?
When you make love under the moon
What will you say? "I love you"?

(repeat)

1960. Sophia Loren sings it (twice) in the movie It Started in Naples (Melville Shavelson), also starring Clark Gable (I have to check this film).





2007. The Puppini Sisters, one of my favorites retro bands cover this song. There are many other versions, but this one is my favorite. Here's it live:



2010. Australian band Yolanda Be Cool releases We No Speak Americano, which becomes #1 in many countries.




Which one is your favorite?

 More great music :

Happy old songs 
"All I do is dream of you": pick your favorite version
Happy Old Songs are back! 
Xmas albums from two of my fave retro bands :)
Happy Old Songs from Nora Ephron films
More Happy Old Songs
And even more Happy Old Songs

4 comments:

  1. Clara,
    What fun you must have had picking out those songs and clips! That was a great song by Sophia. I can't wait for you to get to see "It Started in Naples". I ran across it just a few years ago and enjoyed the pairing of Gable and Loren. It was unexpected but worth the wait.

    My favorite Loren film is "Houseboat" and the song she sings in it is now in my head again after mentioning it, where it will stay for no telling how long. Ha Ha! BING! BANG! BONG!

    Have a great weekend. : )
    Page

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I really want to see it! I'll post a mini review then :) LOL, also want to see "Houseboat", because it has Cary and now I want to check that sticky song you mentioned. Thanks for your comment, Page!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, folk! How are you? It's a really good old dong! I’m here because I have a blog about classic movies and I would like you to pass by and see if you enjoy. The address is http://www.criticaretro.blogspot.com/ I’m waiting for you! Lê ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  4. Clara,
    What fun you must have had picking out those songs and clips! That was a great song by Sophia. I can't wait for you to get to see "It Started in Naples". I ran across it just a few years ago and enjoyed the pairing of Gable and Loren. It was unexpected but worth the wait.

    My favorite Loren film is "Houseboat" and the song she sings in it is now in my head again after mentioning it, where it will stay for no telling how long. Ha Ha! BING! BANG! BONG!

    Have a great weekend. : )
    Page

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...